Friday, January 11, 2013

I promised I would give you directions to the Mini Charm Pack block I made so here goes: First cut the background fabric, white was what I chose, so you can choose the color you want and cut a 12 inch block Now, take your mini charm squares, randomly sort them into 2 rows of 6 squares, sew those together. Then randomly sort more squares into 2 rows of 8 squares, sew those together. You should have rows that look like this You'll want to press (not iron) the seams away from the white fabric. The first two rows should look like this: Now take the 2 rows of 8 charm blocks that you've sewn together. Sew them to the other sides of the white fabric. Like this! You should have a bigger block now that looks like this: YEA!!! Now you're ready to place your applique pieces. You have a standard 11.5 x 11.5 block so you can just about put any kind of applique design in there that you want. My preferred method of applique is template so I've already prepared mine. When I have a square block apposed to an on-point block I like to make my design on-point. I think it adds diversity to the block and everything is not in a straight line. Also, one of my favorite things is to take these lovely, bright colored fabric and then bring in a bit of tradition with a Baltimore block design! You can do just about anything, let your mind go crazy! So there you have it, the tricks of mini-charm squares. I have also found that if you have 42 of the regular charm squares you can cut them into 2.5 squares and make 6 of these blocks. I just did that with a charm square pack from Moda called "Little Black Dress" but I want to make it a nine or twelve block quilt so I need to buy more fabric. That's a shame...........till next time! Happy Piecing, Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment